2018年8月5日 星期日

TOEFL reflections 7/28

Reflections on my recent TOEFL test:

I haven’t taken the TOEFL for about 2 years, and as I’m opening a new TOEFL class, I decided to sign up for two tests. I took the first test last Saturday, and the biggest surprise was not any new question format or previously untested content - these things have not changed one iota.

The biggest surprise to me was that even though I’m an unbelievably experienced test taker (I regularly take the SAT, TOEFL, and IELTS, as well as other tests), I still got lost on the way to the test center! I foolishly assumed that I knew which test center I’d be going to as I knew the area quite well. What I hadn’t banked on was that the test center had moved since I was last there, and I went to the wrong place. When I got to the building that displayed the name of the test center on Google Maps, the test center was nowhere to be seen. I ended up running up and down the street trying to find it. Eventually, I enlisted my champion wife’s help and she cooly notified me that I’d gone to the wrong area. I jumped in a taxi at 8:50 (the test starts at 9:00), and the driver, pretending to know where to go, dropped me off at another wrong place! What’s more, the pin on Google Maps was incorrectly placed too, so I ran around several large blocks before my academic writing teacher, Ms L, who was also taking the test, called me (at 9:10) and asked me where I was. She then gave me the correct directions. I got there at 9:15, and luckily, they still hadn’t started! All I can say is, “Thank God it wasn’t the SAT or the IELTS!” Those tests always begin on time - even if you’re 30 seconds late, it’s over! 

Anyway, thanks to my unscheduled morning run, I was covered in sweat and found it relatively hard to focus during the reading section.

Still, I did notice quite a few things. Here’s a quick breakdown of the test and a few things I noticed:

Reading: 

1) Different people get different experimental sections (加試) (I got additional reading, and I noticed that the third passage was unusually difficult for the TOEFL. Ms L had additional listening tests, and she had not been tested on that passage, so my suspicion that the third passage was an experimental section was confirmed).

2) The reappearance of the referent question (The word “it” in the passage refers to which of the following?) - this question type had become so rare that it had been removed from many TOEFL textbooks. Being able to discern what pronouns refer to is a very important skill for readers, so I was glad to see it in the test.

3) It is extremely important to reread the passage for the summary question. This is the final question at the end of most passages. I had to resist the urge to only choose my answers from memory alone - lucky I did resist the urge, because I discovered a previously appealing answer choice only appeared in a single sentence, which makes it a mere detail. Single-sentence details are rarely correct - usually, you’re looking for the answers with the greatest coverage (篇幅) (a paragraph beats a sentence), as well as looking for misrepresentations of the passage’s meaning. In this question type, eliminating the wrong answers is more important than selecting the right answers.

4) As usual, unlike the SAT, the vocabulary questions tested only the first definition of words. Also, there is often little context to discern the correct meaning of a word, so it’s imperative to improve your general and academic vocabulary.


Listening

1) It’s important to pay attention to steps in a method or in task completion. On Saturday, one question was asked about the first step in a three-step process. Two of the incorrect answers were the other two steps.

2) It’s critical to understand what is shown on the “blackboard” - it’s often tested. Don’t waste time trying to spell the word correctly - just write down the initials or the first few letters of each word.

3) The cool thing about the TOEFL is that the speakers try to direct you to the answers by saying things like: “What’s interesting is…”; “and this is crucial…,” as well as using strong transitions. Remember: If a speaker says something is important, they are talking to YOU directly - that point is usually tested.


Speaking:

1) Q1&2: I was once again happily surprised to be given familiar questions. These were old questions that I’ve taught many times. Again, nothing has changed in the speaking section: ETS keeps reusing the same old questions.

2) Remember to be natural in Q1&2. Keep away from templates!

3) Q3&4: Be sure to get enough (but not too many) details from the reading passage. 

4) Pay particular attention to ideas that are discussed both in the reading and listening sections.

5) Spend most of your answer time summarizing the listening section.

6) Q5: Similar to the last time I took the test, the speakers discussed the background and problem for most of the time. If you’re not careful, you’ll make the mistake of summarizing too much. Remember to answer the question by focusing on your choice and your reasons for making that choice.

7) Q6: Time management is important for all questions, but especially in Q6. It is better to stop talking about the first main point and sufficiently explain the second point than it is to spend the whole time talking about the first point in detail. If you only mention the first point, you’ll only get 50% for that question.


Writing

1) In the integrated writing test, once again, I saw a history passage about the sinking of a ship. ETS loves topics such as this!

2) I wrote 300+ words in 10 minutes. Then I spent 5 minutes paraphrasing so as not to repeat any key words. 

3) Templates are very useful for the Integrated section. If you design or learn a good template, you will save minutes by not having to think about paraphrasing.

4) Independent: I wrote my typical 5-paragraph TOEFL essay: Introduction, Concession, Rebuttal, Advantages, and Conclusion. 

5) As it was appropriate, I even used a rare personal example. Remember, examples are NOT necessary in academic writing. Only use them if it strengthens your main idea. Never use them just because a teacher has told you they’re a good idea. Most examples cause students to get a WORSE score!

6) Finally, it is critical to practice writing under time pressure. Force yourself to write whole essays from start to finish within the time limit. Do it until it becomes second nature. You can always fix up your essays later, but make sure you get used to writing quickly. While quality is more important than quantity, there is a direct correlation between essay length and high scores.


Anyway, I hope this mini article has been of help to you in your TOEFL preparation. I have tons of things I would like to share, but I can’t fit everything into a single article.

Good luck with your prep!

沒有留言:

張貼留言